Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ray Lucas bares addiction on Facebook

While playing for the New England Patriots, New York Jets and the Miami Dolphins, Ray Lucas developed a painkiller addiction and subsequently checking into rehab in West Palm Beach, Florida. More notably, he is posting his daily journal to Facebook so others can understand what it's like to go through recovery.

Ray lucas addition rehab facebookIn September, Lucas had surgery in hopes of alleviating chronic neck pain, that led to a NY Daily News reporter calling hi  the "King of Pain"

ESPN has provided the Facebook entries, only edited for profanity:
Saturday: "At the airport in Dallas with Randy Grimes & Jen Smith heading to BHOP to start treatment for my pain killer addiction that was caused by my NFL injuries . I am s------- in pants. I can't beleive it is time. Monday I was ready to go but now that I have to go I can't leave cause Randy Grimes will tackle me & i and my wife would kill me . Ready to board. Follow my journey through the process on FB . More later ." 

Saturday: "I arrived in Fla.Randy tells me not to be nervous but that is impossible I am in the car on my way to BHOP/Seaside. Nervous about everything, my palms are sweating. This weather will be good for my body. Got a text from my mom she & my family are relieved I am here. I am on my way to start my life over. Can't believe all the FB responses already its a good sign & the support is needed." 

Monday: "The end of day 2 detox. The symptoms of detox are taking hold ,I am in a lot of pain & everything hurts.This gets me scared. This place is amazing, having another player, Randy Grimes, who has been through it by my side is a difference maker. Today in a session for the first time in my life I was dealing with the emotional impact of my departure from the NFL .This is the start of the fight & I AM WILLING TO FIGHT!" 

Tuesday: "Day 3 of detox was filled with a lot of anxiety. I was moved from the detox unit into the Seaside condos to start full days of various therapy sessions, group meetings & other treatment. I am nervous & feeling on edge. I met my therapist, it was a very emotional time a lot of feelings coming to the surface . I am drained. More later. Thanks everyone for the support."

(via ESPN.Go)

No comments:

Post a Comment